Saturday, February 20, 2010

Poor Chaser

So I did it again. My negligence hurt the poor kid. I really don't have an excuse for letting him get hurt again, I just didn't think and I feel super guilty. Luckily he's tough and it could have been a lot worse. Here's the story.

I had been in the bathroom "trying" to get ready for the day when my neighbor came over. Without thinking I had left the bathroom door open with my hair straightener plugged in. I know better than to leave the bathroom door open like that because Chase loves to play in the bathroom. Well, after a minute of visiting with my neighbor I realized that I left the door open and that Chase was probably in the bathroom. He's never really tried to grab the straightener before but this time he did. He grabbed it just as I came in and the poor kid just started screaming. I quickly tried looking at his hands to see where he was burned and couldn't see anything at first but I still shoved both of his hands in cold water. I knew he had to be burned because the thing was turned as hot as it would go to 450 degrees!! And sure enough in a matter of seconds, a HUGE blister formed on the inside of his thumb and index finger. I kept his hand in the cold water as long as he would let me but it still just burned like crazy to him. He screamed pretty good for about an hour. I just held him trying to comfort him and he would fall asleep for a couple of minutes and then he would wake up screaming because it would start to throb. I finally decided to take him to the doctor to see if they could numb it or something, just anything to help the little guy. I called Ray to tell him and he said to bring him by the school first so he could look at it. So when we got there Ray took him to the Athletic Trainer at the school who works for the hospital to see if he had anything so we could avoid a doctor visit. Luckily, he had some numbing anti-septic and some cooling pads. We put those on there and wrapped his hand up pretty good so he wouldn't pull at the blister or bandage and he calmed right down!! As long as we keep it wrapped it up, he doesn't even seem to notice it or act like it bothers him so we are truly blessed. It could have burned him so much worse and covered so much more area. I am definitely being a little more careful now. I just hope my stupidity doesn't hurt him anymore!!


This isn't the best picture, but the best we could get. This was when the burn was a day old. All of the white part is the blister. It actually broke open the night before so we are trying to watch for infection and keep it as clean as possible. Hopefully we avoid it. The burn actually wraps around his thumb to the other side but we couldn't get a picture of it.



This was taken with my phone so the glare from the sun is pretty intense but he was so cute. He had fallen asleep after we saw Ray and put the medicine on. He was finally able to relax and fall asleep. Sucker in his mouth and all.

See!! It doesn't even seem to bother him! I don't know how it doesn't, but he still laughs and plays like normal! We put a sock over it last night to let it air out without being bandaged and taped it to his pajamas.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey ... Im sure you saw my post a little while ago about hallees burn... It happens! You are still an incredible mom! My mom in law said you are so stinkin cute prego and that she thinks your baby is kicking the legs straight out because you only stick out front! :) I love the prego pics!

Amber Blair said...

I am always so worried when my kids come around when my straightener is on, I've heard of a lot of kids who get burned by them. What a little tropper though!! Lately Alana looks like she's been beat cuz she's ran into stuff and has a black eye and a couple other bruises on her face. Crazy kids.