Friday, March 12, 2010

Rylee Ann Miller

Well she's here. Sarah asked me (Ray) to update the blog for her. So here it goes. I'm no good at all this blabbering, I mean thoughtful writing, so you'll pretty much just get the facts and some pictures.
We checked into the hospital at 7:45 this morning for our scheduled induction. I'm going to pause for a moment and tell everyone how great inductions are! I know I said I wouldn't blabber on about things, but in my opinion it is the only way to go. No guessing, no worrying, no "are we going to make it to the hospital on time?" or "do I really need to go in yet, or are they just going to send me home?" Induction takes away all that stuff, and allows for a nice, planned birth. You know when you go in, you're coming home with a baby.

Any way, I digress. after a couple of hours of the paper work and admissions stuff and getting everything set up. They finally hooked her up to the pitocin. That was a horrific experience because the nurse had a student with her who she let do the IV. I guess it hurt pretty bad and blood squirted out all over. I guess Sarah almost lost it, but even worse, it almost hit my shoe! After that ordeal, the contractions started coming. After a while the doctor came in and checked her and she hadn't really progressed much, but he went ahead and broke her water. I was surprised because I didn't think he would until he saw more favorable results from the pit. But we were glad he did, since in our previous experience, once they broke her water things progressed quickly... And they did!

About 1 hour after the breaking of the water. Contractions were getting pretty bad so Sarah decided she needed something to help with the pain. Throughout the pregnancy Sarah had been toying with the idea of not doing the epidural and just using narcotics (I know, drug addicts) injected in through the IV. She still wasn't sure when we came in. I said she should do the epidural since she had had it with both the boys and it worked great. Why mess with something good? Right?! But Sarah let the nurse talk her into trying the other stuff first. Well as I suspected, it didn't really do anything, so about 10 min. later she asked for the epidural. Once she got that, things were good. They checked her again (I think it may have actually been just before they gave her the epidural, I don't remember) and she was at a 4. About an hour later they came back and checked her again and she was dilated to an 8. So things were moving along quickly.

Then about 10 min. later, she turns to me and says " I think I can feel her head moving down in there." So we paged the nurse to have her come check again. The nurse came and checked and she was totally dilated, ready to go. So they call the doctor, and we actually had to wait for the doctor to get there. Once he arrived she pushed for about 3 min. and out she came. Super easy delivery and every thing went great.

So at 3:19 p.m. today Rylee Ann Miller was born. She weighed 7 lbs. 1 oz. and is 18.5 in. long. She has been a little angel so far eating good, sleeping lots, and best of all no crying! It better stay that way!

Well that's the short and condensed "just the facts" version. If you want to hear the dramatic version you'll have to ask Sarah :) And now, lots of pictures, enjoy!


11 comments:

Kristen said...

Yay for a baby girl today and yay for epidurals. I have to admit I am a big fan. They gave me the narcotics with Carter and first to see if they would work, but it just made me loopy and a few minutes later my Dr. walked in and told the nurse to just get me the epidural! She is a doll and I can't wait to see and hear more about her! Congrats you guys and congrats to you mama! You did amazing!

Unknown said...

She is so cute! Congrats!!

Krista said...

She is beautiful and I'm glad it all worked out well. Hooray for little girls.

Lacy said...

How exciting! I'm so glad you finally have your little girl here (very cute name too)! Seeing her really makes me want another baby ;) I'm glad everything worked out as planned and went so smoothly (other than the student's IV learning experience!) Congratulations to the whole family!

Razzle Dazzle Berry said...

Yahooooo! Congrats to you both and how fun to have a girl! We hope for a fast recovery for mommy :) Congrats again, we love ya!!

-Becca and Chris

Unknown said...

Good update, Ray! I like your version of things...it made me laugh. She is very cute and we look forward to holding her more. We're so glad everything turned out so wonderfully.
PS-Epidurals are the best!

The Cupp's said...

Congratulations! She is so cute! We are glad your labor went well. We can't wait to see more pictures.

Sara Birch said...

Yeah! What a beautiful little girl!

Amber Blair said...

Congrats!! She is so adorable!! So tiny too. I just got back from seeing my new nephew who weighed 7 lbs 6 oz and he looked so tiny, so thinking of 5 less ounces sounds just itty bitty!!

Valerie said...

Congratulations to Ray on blabbering enough to get us -- the readers -- all the information!! Good job. You'll have to post more often!

And congrats to Sarah on doing a great job and getting beautiful Rylee here safe and sound!

She's beautiful!!

Boudrero said...

Congrats!! She is beautiful... I am so excited for you.