Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Bryce Canyon Half Marathon

Six weeks after the Marathon in Oregon I ran the Bryce Canyon Half Marathon. This was a fun one though because my best friend Katie and her husband were running it too. So we decided to have an adult weekend and sent all of the kids to other people's houses (thank you Kathryn and Kristi!) and Ray, me, Katie and Dan left. We stayed at a relative's cabin in Panguitch and went fishing the night before. I haven't been fishing in years (well, without kids anyways) and so this was a treat! The only problem was that didn't catch a single fish! Everyone else caught a fish except for me and it was really bumming me out and I refused to quit until I did! Well, Dan had found a hot spot and was pulling fish out like crazy! So I went and stood right next to him, but no!, I couldn't hook a stinkin' fish still! Needless to say, I walked away empty handed, but still had a great time!

The next morning we had wake up at 4:30 in the MORNING! to get to the race by 6 AM. On the way to the race my stomach didn't feel too great and I thought it was just pre race jitters. Well, as the race started it turned into something worse and I was just about doubled over in severe pain and clenching my bum cheeks for all I was worth! (Sorry TMI) I was able run the first 5 miles but finally gave in to the porta potty. Needless to say, that was not my last time visiting those things. After it was all said and done I had to stop at 6 porta potties. Not my best race, which was too bad because it was a fast downhill course with beautiful scenery. Despite being sick, i finished with a half decent time of 2:07. Unfortunately, Katie came down with the same bug and we were both hating life after the race. But it was so fun to have Dan and Katie along! And eventhough Ray didn't run the race, he was fun have along as well! :) (You know I love you honey!) He got some great pictures though of the race and some of the spectacular sites around us.

No comments: