Sunday, September 6, 2009

Chase's Birthday, and Mmmm...Cake!!

Chase had his first birthday this last week!! Wahoo!! He is now officially a big boy! It wasn't anything eventful or spectacular, but we had presents and some birthday cake a few days later.


But the cake!!! Oh my, it is quite the cake. My mother-in-law sent me an email with some recipes from a friend and there was this one for a Fudgy Raspberry Torte. I haven't been baking much (can't stomach much sweets lately) but I decided to give it a try. It's very good, but very rich and it makes a BIG, heavy cake!! Here's the recipe for it:


1 pkg. chocolate fudge or Devils food camke mix

1 1/3 C. water

3 eggs

1/3 c. vegetable oil

3/4 c. chocolate chips, divided

3/4 c. ground pecans (I left them out, not a nut fan)

1 1/2 c. cold milk

1 pkg. (3.9 oz) instant chocolate fudge or chocolate pudding mix

1/2 c. seedless raspberry jam (I just used the jam I already had with seeds and it was fine)

1 1/2 c. whipped topping

1/4 c. powder sugar

1/2 tsp almond flavoring

1/4 c. finely chopped pecans

Fresh raspberries

In mixing bowl, combine dry cake mix, water, eggs and oil; mix well. Add 1/4 c. chocolate chips and ground pecans; stir until combined. Pour into 3 greased and floured 9 in. round baking pans. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. In a mixing bowl, beat milk and pudding mix on low speed for 2 minutes or until thickened. In a sauce pan melt jam. Brush over the top of each cake. Place one cake on a serving plate, spread with half of the pudding. Repeat layers. Top with third cake layer; spread top with whipped topping mixed with powdered sugar and almond flavoring. Sprinkle with chopped pecans. Garnish with raspberries. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.

*The recipes doesn't call for Oreos, but I add some crushed Oreos between the layers when you spread the pudding and then also all over the top and sides. I thought it added some good texture.


(The cake looks crooked here, and it very well could be crooked, but I'm pretty sure I had the camera at an angle. =) )


5 comments:

Unknown said...

Do I get to eat some of that cake??? Mmmmmm...

Unknown said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHASE!!!!!!!!! That cake counds great... gonna have to try it!

Bundy Family said...

Look at you go! So how did Chase like the cake?

Valerie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHASE!!!

Thanks for the recipe. Hmmm.... I wonder when I can make it? Let's see... I'm doing laundry today, so we'll celebrate by having cake! =]

Kristen said...

Ok I don't even like cake and I want some! I can't believe he's one.